An attempt at reconstructing Deinonychus antirrhopus
after a skeletal drawing by Scott Hartman.
Colouring and plumage borrowing from Harpy and Bateleur eagles as well as Bearded vulture.
There are a good deal of errors in there and it doesn't look as birdlike as it should...I'm not very convinced about the rear part and the legs either but it's a first step toward more serious paleoart. EDITS :
I got great feedback both here and in other forums so I decided to make some edits on the image :
- I made the tail more muscular, particularly at the base.
- I removed the tertial feathers (I should probably remove the last top three feathers at the elbow too...)
- I edited the name to Deinonychus antirrhopus
; without capitalization on the species name.
- And finally...I signed, because I always forget to.
MORE EDITS (2014)
- Edited the BG to get rid of the slightly orange cream color I had before.
- Made some slight changes to the thickness of the tail
- Made colors a little brighter
- Added iridescent feathers (based loosely on Australian Ibis)
- Changed the shape and anatomy of the arms to make it more tightly folded and correct the feather placement.